February 14, 2014

The Evolution of My Thinking

3 responses on “The Evolution of My Thinking
  • carolyn dirksen
    February 17, 2014 at 11:19 am

This is a crucial area where we need to be “wise as serpents and harmless as doves.” I am always so afraid of damaging a student’s faith that I probably don’t push critical examination far enough. I think you are absolutely right that unexamined faith doesn’t withstand the battering of real life. We just have to be sure that our intellectual environment is safe and is supportive.

• Ronald K Hines DDS
    February 19, 2014 at 11:29 am

In this discussion I wonder where my Christian beliefs exactly fit. I speak boldly in class through my devotions about my profound position that Jesus IS the only way to salvation and of His power to redeem and change lives as He has in my own life. Faith is a powerful thing as long as what/where the faith is directed aligns with His Word. I personally cannot see my self backing down in my presentation of Jesus as LORD regardless of who is present. Or maybe I have totally missed the direction of this discussion….let the Word do the examination. We cannot judge even ourselves.

• Student
    February 19, 2014 at 07:05 pm

I don’t know exactly where I fall on the young earth debate. I have researched all theories on this but It hasn’t been and never will be something that defines my faith. I do not believe in evolution the way most scientist present it. Neither did Charles Darwin based on things that he said. I do believe that humans have evolved some because of technological advances. We have continued to grow bigger, stronger, and healthier throughout the last few hundred years. I think it is insane to say that we came from monkeys. Scientist say that DNA is similar and use this as a basis to say we did evolve from them. I do agree that we have similar DNA but we are made from the same creator so of course we do. If I create two different things then they will be similar and of course I will use the things I like from my first creations to make my final creation. As far as the pill thing goes. I agree with the girl that it does not matter because it is not biological. I myself have struggled with homosexual thoughts but it is a choice to act on those thoughts just like it is a choice to act on any lustful thought that any of us may have. I do realize that the Bible does say we are born into sin. Based on this I believe that there are things that Satan attacks us with from day one. These things will be struggles throughout our life and do create who we are. Maybe in some way that could show up in our DNA because it does affect us but I know that my God will not create someone who is homosexual and then condemn them to Hell if they act on those thoughts. I guess if predestination were true then that could be the case but there is plenty of Biblical evidence that says predestination is not true. The verse that Calvinist use says that God predestined those whom He foreknew to be with Him. Based on the Bible I read God foreknew everyone so no one will be in Hell. I don’t really understand how that scripture could even work to support Calvinist theory. What I would like to know is how you can honestly state that young earth theorist are embarrassingly wrong and ignorant when you yourself do not even know the truth behind it. I do not believe this is an issue any of us can ever know until we are actually standing before Christ Himself and cannot see how you can say these people are ignorant because you believe a certain way. It is not something you can personally deal with and there is nothing that tells us without a doubt which theory is true. Also I am a Pastoral and Psychology major. I deal with students all over campus and have lived with RA’s in freshmen dorms for the past 4 years. I have talked about this often with other students and know that the majority of students do, in fact, believe in the young earth theory. I do know that it is more common within the Psychology department to see more students lean toward evolution but that does not make that the majority of students throughout campus or even in the Psychology department. Can you provide some more solid fact to your “thinking”?