Year 2012

Well, here we are at the brink of yet another semester at Lee. The Christmas break was good for all; I especially found it to be a good opportunity to rethink my teaching and work plans. As for the teaching, I am only teaching one course this semester (spring 2012). The web design course that I have been teaching since 1999; is still the one I seem to put time into as I try to perfect the course and assure that my students comprehend the presented content.

Brett Deaton has been amazingly helpful assisting in this class. The coding of websites is simply natural for Brett. He has picked up on the ways to get the information across. With my teaching and Brett’s assistance, this course has already improved double-fold. This semester will be a time to prepare students for taking the advanced web course, which will focus on designing sites using WordPress. The full coverage intended is not yet known as the revamping is still in progress.

The other areas I had the opportunity to think about was my work in the CTE. As the semester starts up, I will help a number of faculty begin to use Adobe Connect. Adobe Connect is a synchronous online system. Teachers will be able to teach onlive, live! Teaching online is not the same as classroom teaching, and I hope to assist faculty in crossing over from the classroom to the online environment in their practice. Additionally, I am hoping to start the process of videoing the use of various technologies purchased via Title III funds. Dr. Austin Patty has developed a video of this sort, of which I would like to model our videos after.

Since I will be leading a trip to Ukraine in May, I also have two courses to teach before the trip. The Russian language will be part of the preparations for the trip as well. In addition, Abbey and I will call numerous meetings that will pertain to the culture, peoples, practices, and language of Ukraine. As we did for the 2010 trip, we will aim to have students well prepared and psyched for the trip. This trip is going to be fantastic, especially with a group of ten.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I intend to offer training online for using Moodle in a manner that would be sequecial and traing of using the Promethium Interactive Whiteboard. With the above goals in hand, this should be a productive and busy semester.